Grandmas Sugar Cookies
I remember growing up my mom always made these amazing sugar cookies for Christmas. They would just melt in your mouth! I have tried for the past 6 years to get these cookies to turn out right GF/DF but each year the texture has just been wrong! Here is why...
Fat: I think it was the fact that I was trying various oils from butter, to coconut, to olive, all were a fail! This year I tried the Spectrum (non-hydrogenated) shortening. Not super healthy I am sure but much better than Crisco! And we only make 1 batch 1 time a year so I think we will be ok.
Flour: I also used a different flour blend. In the past I always was playing with flour mixes to get just the right one. This year out of convenience I used Bob's Red Mill All Purpose GF Flour. (I like this one because it has bean flours which give it some nutrients and protein above other mixes)
So, make these melt in your mouth cookies and no one will even know they are Gluten and Dairy Free!
|Grandma's Sugar Cookies|| |
- 1 c. Powder Sugar
- 1 Organic Eggs
- 1 c. Spectrum Non-Hydrogenated Shortening
- ½ tsp. GF PURE Vanilla
- 2 c. Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp. Baking Soda
- ½ tsp. Cream of Tartar
- Cream powdered sugar and shortening to smooth.
- Add beaten egg, whip to smooth
- In separate bowl combine flour, soda, and cream of tartar
- Slowly blend dry ingredients into creamed mixture.
- Refrigerate dough for about 1 hour.
- Roll into balls (wet hand if dough sticks to hands). Place on cookie sheet.
- Dip a glass bottom into water and then raw sugar and press on top of each cookie, to make a sugary topping and press cookie down a bit!
- Cook at 350 about 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned!
Here is a recipe you kids will love to help you with, gingerbread cookies, a must at Christmas!