People say that the belly bug (stomach flu- differing from influenza), consisting of vomiting multiple times is just a natural part of being a child! I do not agree! My children do get under the weather once in a while, don’t get me wrong, but it has be YEARS since we have had the belly bug in that way. What does the belly bug look like at our house, a person may complain of a tummy ache vomit once, twice at the most and then recover! Today I would like to share with you what to do if your children get the belly bug and how to equip them to be like my kids and if they do get it, their body will fight quick, hard and be done!
Build a Strong Gut! (STRONG GUT=STRONG IMMUNE SYSTEM)
80% of your immune system is your gut, therefore if you have a healthy gut you will have a healthy body! There are a few things you can do to build a healthy gut, they are…
- Eat a diet that is MOSTLY whole foods, that being veggies, fruit, nuts, and meat. I even mean snacks being whole raw fruits, veggies, and meat bites. It really is easy if you establish it as the way your family eats.
- LIMIT GRAINS as they are packed with sugars! Did you know that 2 slices of wheat bread have the equivalent of 5-6 Table Spoons of sugar! (I learned that last week at a seminar by Dr. Pompa) If you eat grains make sure they are ancient grains like: QUINOA, MILLET, TEFF, ETC….(more on that in another post)
- LIMIT SUGARS- natural and refined. Not all sugars are created equal. MOST even honey and maple syrup cause sugar spikes and negative effects on the body. Some good ones to use are coconut sugar, xylitol, and coconut nectar as they do not effect your body like other sugars and allow your blood to stay stable, avoiding the SPIKES!
Regular Chiropractic Care
- Get yourself and kids adjusted regularity. Daily stresses, bad food, viruses, etc…all can cause your spine to be out of alignment and cause your nervous system to work incorrectly, thus causing your immune system to be compromised. Getting adjusted regularly (for us it is about 1 time every 3 weeks) keeps your nervous system and immune system in tip top shape!
- NOTE: I look at it this way. To get my 5 kids adjusted one time per month costs about $150. If I take them all in for a strep test it cost $150, so I error on the side of prevention!
Daily Immune Support
- Each day my kiddos take a fish oil, probiotic and multi vitamin. These help keep their bodies in tip top shape.
- I also give them a smoothies every to every other day in which I put: vitamin C powder, flaxseed oil, vitamin D drop, blueberries, asai berry (that is my base then I add in what ever else I want…) The Vit C boost immune system and keeps the alkaline, flax is awesome immune booster, vit D needed in MN winter and boost immunity as well, blueberries, asai are powerful antioxidants!
- This is the foundation of a healthy GUT! We use Multiflora plus or Ultra Flora. You can take capsule form or open the capsule in yogurt, apple sauce, etc…
- This is KEY to avoiding the belly but!
Avoid Antibiotic (if you can…)
- Antibiotics kill the good bacteria in your gut and then YEAST (the bad guys) grows rapidly! Sooooo…if you MUST do antibiotics make sure your child is taking a GOOD PROBIOTIC as well! Yogurt does not work to repopulate the gut as there is not enough good bacteria along with it is embedded in sugar and dairy which is what the YEAST feast on!
- This is what we use to do when we used antibiotics: we take double our regular probiotic (2 capsules) with the antibiotic and then for double the duration of the antibiotic (so if the antibiotic is for 10 days take the probiotic for 20 past the last dose of the antibiotic) This is what we have done to ensure repopulation of the good stomach bacterias! Then return to daily dose of probiotics!
- Naturally fermented foods like sour kraut and pickles have both pre and probiotics which build a healthy gut. I am not going to go into much detail right now, but if your kids will eat sour kraut or pickles load them up. HOWEVER, they must be naturally fermented, Gedney will not work! Bubbas is a brand you can buy at the co-op that IS naturally fermented or you can- can your own next summer!
IF YOU GET THE BELLY BUG in your house…
- This is a homeopathic that is amazing. This is how we use it: The one who got sick gets 10 drops 5 times per day, everyone else (not sick) gets 5 drops 3 times per day- this naturally boosts the immune system and usually results in no one else getting it, if someone else starts to complain of a tummy ache I up their dosage to 10 drops 3 times per day!
- This homeopathic boosts the immune system to fight the belly bug and influenza so we use it for symptoms of both!
- This homeopathic also eases the nausea which allows for more comfort while waiting for the healing to come!
- Getting adjusted helps to boost the immune system to kick the bug
- IF you child has continuous vomiting often time the stomach can herniate up and needs to be adjusted in order to stop the vomiting! This happened with my oldest years ago. She was on a three day vomiting session and I finally took her in to get adjusted (we were newbies) and she said, “Yep, her stomach is herniated.” She adjusted her tummy, weird I know, but the vomiting stopped and she recovered quickly after that!
Keeping Hydrated: The key to hydration is keeping the liquids IN! Gatorade is a favorite but you really are pouring food coloring and corn syrup into your child which are not healing. Pedialyte a favorite second is sweetened with Sucralose which is an ARTIFICIAL SWEETENER which is HIGHLY TOXIC!!!! So here are some alternative we use…
- Meta genics ENDURA: This is an electrolyte drink like Gatorade and Pedialyte minus the artificial sweeteners, corn syrup and food coloring.
- Water: Plain old water
- Tea: peppermint (my kids choice), chamomile, or ginger- All calming to the tummy, eases quisieness!
- HOW TO START:
- Let stomach rest 2 hours after vomiting, then give 1tsp every 10 minutes of liquid, if it stays down…
- Go to 2 tsp every 10 minutes, if it stays down…
- Go to 1 T. every 10 minutes, if it stays down…
- Go to sips as desired!
- KEY: NO CHUGGING it will come right back at ya!
- Start slow: My first is GF toast with coconut oil, cinnamon, and honey if that stays down…
- I begin things like cuties, oranges, or blue berries, it that stays down…
- Go with the craving…I let my kids tell me something that sounds good and usually at that point it all stays down!
I hope these tips help you to AVOID the belly bug this season and if you do get it I pray it will be quick!
Have a healthy and happy day,
If you would like to get email notifications of my posts please click on the “follow” button at the bottom right hand side of the screen!