Amazing Gluten Free Doughnuts
For Christmas I got a doughnut maker…super exciting! Now that all the Christmas hubub is over we had some time to play in the kitchen this morning! I took a recipe for traditional doughnuts and tweeked it a bit to make it gluten and diary free and they worked out amazingly! By changing up the oils and sugars they use they are also “healthier” than regular doughnuts as well. This is a “treat” however, not an every day meal!
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Flour
- ½ cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 t. Baking Powder
- 1 Organic Egg
- ½ cup Coconut Milk (or nut milk of choice)
- ½ tsp GF Vanilla
- 4 tbsp Grapeseed or (melted) Coconut Oil
- Mix flour, sugar, baking power in a bowl, set aside. With a handmixer mix for 1 minute egg, milk and vanilla. Add oil and mix for 1 more minute. Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir until smooth!
- Heat doughnut maker. Put dough into a zip lock bag (and cut off edge for a tip) or use a piping bag. When doughnut maker is heated and "ready" light is on, pipe a layer of dough in each doughnut space. Close and bake for 5 minutes. Remove and allow to cool on a wire rack.
Melted Dark Chocolate and Sprinkles: melt chocolate and dip each doughnut into the melted chocolate. Top with sprinkles.
Xylitol and Cinnamon: Mix 2 T. xylitol and 2 tsp. cinnamon in a small bowl. Brush each doughnut with melted coconut oil and dip in xylitol cinnamon mixture to coat.
Glaze: 2T. powdered sugar and 1 tsp or 2 of water. Add water until it is a drizzle consistance. Drizzle over doughnuts.
Grain Free Doughnuts
Trying to be healthier with the doughnut thing I tried a grain free recipe as well. I loved these over the other ones, my kids hoever enjoyed the others more! Using the doughnut maker was a bit trickier with this dough. I found if I cooked them 2 minutes, flipped them and cooked them another minute they were done perfect! A bit more of a hassle but well worth it. These were more like a “cake” doughnut!
- 1¼ c. almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon, zest of ½ lemon
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons raw honey
- Mix spices, flour, salt, and soda in a small bowl. In a blender mix eggs, lemon, coconut oil, and honey. Add flour mix and blend until smooth!
- Place in a piping bag or a ziplock with the tip cut out. Pipe one layer of dough into doughnut maker and bake for 2 minutes. Open and flip doughnuts using the fork tool and close for an additional minute. Remove and cool on an wire rack.
Topping: I used about 1 T. honey with juice from 1/2 a lemon and drizzled it over the doughnuts. Yummmmmy…. Check out this birthday cake recipe that no one will know is GF/DF and Egg free!