I love taking favorites from my childhood and making them healthier as well as edible for our special diet needs! When it tastes the same I am elated! Well, I am spending a few days at my parents house with the kids. I have been really wanting to make a lemon meringue pie, but lacking time at home to do it. So, today I found some extra moments to play in my mom’s kitchen! This pie is a bit time consuming but worth every minute! It lends itself nicely to helpers! And is just like the one I remember from when I was a kid!
SO, how is this healthier than mom’s? Well, the crust contains coconut oil and almonds which are both packed with nutrients and great fats to nourish your body. The filling has organic lemons which are packed with detox properties as well as vitamins, raw honey to sweeten this has health benefits as well. The meringue is made with organic egg whites, lending protein and coconut sugar which won’t spike your blood sugar! NOTE- this still is a TREAT, but it is better than most!
Step 1: Make Pie Crust: Lilli my 11 year old did this all her self, and amazing job she did.
|Almond Flour Pies Crust|| |
- 1¾ c. almond flour
- ¼ c. grass fed butter, cold, cut into pieces or coconut oil
- 1 T. arrowroot powder
- ¼ t. baking soda
- ⅛ t. sea salt
- 2 T. raw honey
- ¼ t. pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Place the almond flour, butter pieces, arrowroot powder, baking soda and salt into the bowl of a food processor and pulse 6-8 times. Then add the honey and vanilla and pulse until it starts to form a dough ball.
- Use a rubber spatula to remove the dough and place into an pie pan.
- Press the dough evenly into the bottom of the pie pan.
- Bake crust for 8-10 minutes, until puffy, but not browned. Allow to cool before filling.
Step 2: Make home made lemon pie filling- YES, with real ORGANIC lemons as you will be using the zest! Lil also helped with this.
|Lemon Pie Filling|| |
- 6 large organic egg yolks, room temperature
- ½ c. raw honey
- ⅓ c. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 T. filtered water
- 1 t. organic lemon zest
- ¼ t. pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup butter, cold, cut into pieces or coconut oil
- In a double boiler, or in a heat-safe glass bowl resting above a pot of gently simmering (not boiling) water, whisk together the egg yolks, honey, lemon juice, water, lemon zest and vanilla until well blended.
- Slowly add the butter, 2-3 pieces at a time, while constantly whisking. Add more pieces as the previous ones melt.
- After all of the butter pieces are melted and incorporated, cook for an additional 15-18 minutes, stirring just occasionally, until it thickens like a thin pudding. Then, place the lemon curd in the refrigerator to cool.
- Once cool to touch (not cold), add the lemon curd to the cooled crust, using a spreader to smooth it out evenly.
Step 3: Make the Meringue: Mikey got in the action by whipping and whipping and whipping!
- 3 egg whites
- 3 T. coconut sugar
- ½ tsp. cream of tartar
- Whip room temperature egg whites in a glass bowl- smaller is better. When whites get frothy add cream of tater, slowly add coconut sugar, whip until stiff peaks form. Smear over cooked pie and bake 15 minutes until golden brown on 325 degrees!
Step 4: Eat and ENJOY!
Hope you enjoy this family favorite of mine gone healthy! Blessings on your day,