Well, I had a challenge on my hands as one of my kiddos, Matthew, is unable to eat eggs as we are rebuilding his gut. He had to go on antibiotics for STREP- and that is one thing all our docs agree must be killed by antibiotics as there are major health issues that can develop from untreated strep. We are now in gut repair mode, which means now that he is done with antibiotics he is doing high levels of probiotics, fermented foods and a restricted diets. Eggs really are unreleated to the whole “gut thing” but he is not as strong as normal due to this process and eggs for some reason are not testing well for him right now.
SO, the challenge: a GLUTEN, DAIRY, and EGG free birthday cake that tastes good and like birthday cake for Baby Benj’s 2nd birthday party!
Here is the recipe….
|Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free Chocolate Cake|| |
- 1½ c. Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flour
- ½ tsp. Sea Salt
- ¼ c. Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 C. Coconut Sugar (could do ¾ if you are ok with a bit less sweet)
- 5 T. Grapeseed Oil or Melted Coconut OIl
- 1 T. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 c. Water
- ½ c. GF, DF Chocolate Chips
- Mix flour, salt, cocoa, and baking soda in a bowl- set aside. In large bowl mix together sugar, oil, vinegar, water. Mix in dry ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips. Place in an 8 x 8 ish size pan- greased. I used my springform pan for a circular shape. Bake at 350 for about ½ hour until a toothpick inserted comes out clean!
The frosting recipe…
|Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free Chocolate Frosting|| |
- 1 c. Raw Sugar (run it trough your blender so it turns powered)
- ¼ c. Cocoa Powder
- ¼ c. Coconut Oil
- Splash of Coconut Milk
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- Whisk powdered sugar, cocoa, coconut oil,and vanilla together. Add coconut milk to spreadable consistency. Spread over cake. Top with chocolate chips and sprinkles (with out food coloring).
Everyone enjoyed the party and no one noticed that it was GF, DF, and Egg Free! Hope this is a helpful recipe for some of you who have to avoid eggs as well. Eggs are an off and on food for us! Here is a recipe for an amazing GF/DF chicken pot pie you can serve the pickiest of eaters!
Have a blessed weekend,